Shepherd’s Pie has always been a comfort food of mine. After all, meat, corn and potatoes… what’s not to love? Not to mention all the salt and gobs of butter.
While dieting in the past I would never even think of letting myself eating Shepherd’s Pie. With my new lifestyle change (I’m not calling it a diet) I have been giving my favorite recipes — especially the comfort food — low-calorie makeovers with better nutritional values.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fat free cheddar cheese
- 1 pint sliced mushrooms
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Cream Corn
- 10 ounce package of frozen spinach
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Dried chives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare Mashed Cauliflower and Cream Corn
- Brown ground chicken in a skillet with garlic
- Drain fat
- Stir in Italian seasoning and sliced mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Put chicken and mushrooms in the bottom of a 9×13 pan
- Spread creamed corn over chicken and mushrooms
- Layer spinach over corn
- Put Mashed Cauliflower over the corn
- Sprinkle cheese and dried chives over the top
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes
I know it is a little odd to put spinach on Shepherd’s Pie, but I think it needed a little green, and it adds some extra nutrients. Plus, spinach is delicious.
2 thoughts on “RECIPE: Low-calorie Shepherd’s Pie”
This looks so good! I just Pinned it 🙂